Christian Science is a Bible-based teaching which was established to reinstate the healing power of original Christianity to the world.
Christian Science was established in the 19th century by Mary Baker Eddy, who was healed of a life-threatening injury in 1866 through her study of the Bible and whole-hearted reliance on God. This gave her a fresh insight into Christ Jesus’ life and works, leading her to share her discovery by healing through prayer and teaching others to do so. In 1875, she published her major book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, which explains the divine Science underlying Jesus’ healings and teachings. Over 10 million copies of her book have been sold worldwide.
Christian Science teaches that God is the infinite power of good in our lives and that every individual’s true nature is wholly spiritual, good, and loved by God. This understanding can be applied to all aspects of human life and in all circumstances, with healing and transformative results.
Tenets of Christian Science
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures: 496–497
Find out more about the world-wide denomination of The First Church of Christ, Scientist at www.christianscience.com.
Find out more about Christian Science in the UK at spirituality4.me/.
To purchase a copy of the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, and other literature published by the Christian Science Publishing Society, visit your local reading room or go to shop.spirituality4.me/ .